You are here
Home > Home Improvement > Keep Your Home Free from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Keep Your Home Free from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Quite often your home may be affected by Carbon Monoxide (CO) which is a colorless, odourless and highly poisonous gas. They are generally produced if you are burning any solid, liquid or gaseous fuel. Home appliances that are fuelled by LPG, oil, coal or wood may also produce carbon monoxide. Burning of charcoal also produces carbon monoxide. Many people die every year from CO produced at their home and therefore it is necessary that you must keep your home free from this gas.  

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning

If you read any home guide then you will know various CO poisoning symptoms. Initial symptoms are quite similar to flu, but there will be no fever. The other symptoms are –

  • Fatigue
  • Headache
  • Nausea
  • Shortness of breath
  • Dizziness

Many people often think that they only have flu, but the condition may worsen leading to death.

Things to do in order to prevent CO poisoning

  • It is essential that all the appliances that are installed at your home are fitted by professionals. Particularly the heating system must be regularly serviced and inspected by professionals. There should be no blockage, corrosion or any kind of loose connection etc.
  • It will be a good idea to install CO detector alarm system at your home. However, make sure that the detector is working properly. Never cover the detector otherwise its very purpose will get defeated.
  • Never ever burn charcoal in the room.
  • Portable fuel burning equipment should never be used inside the room.
  • Do not use oven, cloth dryer or any other gas appliances for heating home.
  • Avoid using any tools or engine that is powered by gasoline inside the house. In case, it is totally unavoidable then make sure that your rooms are well ventilated. Best thing would be to use this outdoors.

In case, you observe that there are symptoms of CO poisoning in your house then immediately open your doors and windows. You may also call Alberta home services to check the functions of all systems and also call any doctor immediately before the situation gets out of your hand.

Leave a Reply

Top